Better Days

Welcome to the blog of Doug "Duke" Lang, songwriter and host of Better Days, a radio show spinning journeys from music and language, heard Thursdays ten-to-midnight Pacific time at www.coopradio.org Listen to songs at www.myspace.com/dukelang

Name:
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Meet Me Outside

better days

Only the mediocre are always at their best...
This song is far from finished. It has gone
from sixteen verses to six. I feel as though I'm
drunk in a bar in Ireland with Shane MacGowan
singing this with me. It's a nasty business.

There is no such thing as religion over-riding
morality. Man, for instance,cannot be untruthful,
cruel or incontinent and claim to have God on his side.


Mahatma Gandhi

Where is the justice of political power if it
executes the murderer and jails the plunderer,
and then itself marches upon neighbouring lands,
killing thousands and pillaging the very hills?


Kahlil Gibran

He who rules his spirit has won greater victory
than the taking of a city.


Jesus Christ


MEET ME OUTSIDE

I want to run with the rebels
Want to carry the old woman's heart
Want the gods to sit down with their devils
And the teachings to all tear apart
I want doubt to return to the righteous
Want shadows to leap on the fire
What we disown to come back and bite us
I want to keen in the Sunday choir

I want no more amens for money
I'm done with the lies that we tell
I want the bees to be paid for their honey
And heaven to marry with hell
I want leaders to rise from the masses
Want people to stop being scared
I want shepherds to get off their asses
I want burning bridges repaired

I want water to come out of granite
Want the air to be poisoned no more
Want wisdom to govern the planet
The rich to give back to the poor
I want music to come back and teach us
There's more than one note in a chord
I want the rockets to turn into peaches
And kindness take over the world

I want the poets' dissent and defiance
I want grief to catch up to the crime
I want a bomb that will blow up the violence
And clocks that tell all of the time
I want women to come from the shadows
Their cycles have so much to say
Want men to come out of their bottles
And make a pronouncement today

I want the courage of Mahatma Gandhi
And the wisdom of Kahlil Gibran
I want buttetholes filled up with candy
And mercy to make a new plan
Johnny come back, we hardly knew ya
It's time that you found better work
I want Jesus to live in Falluja
And Mohammed to live in New York

We've got enough pain now to guide us
We're apart and the water is wide
I want no beliefs to divide us
I want you to meet me outside
Let’s start a new country tomorrow
One that has no borderline
I want loving to gather the sorrow
The water turned back into wine

DL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home