Better Days

Welcome to the blog of Doug "Duke" Lang, songwriter and host of Better Days, a radio show spinning journeys from music and language, heard Thursdays ten-to-midnight Pacific time at www.coopradio.org Listen to songs at www.myspace.com/dukelang

Name:
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Sunday, April 03, 2005

River

better days

I shall remain anonymous. I wouldn't feel free
to write otherwise. I think Salam and Gee are incredibly
brave. Who knows, maybe one day I will be too.
You know me as Riverbend, you share a small part
of my daily reality. I hope that will suffice.


RIVER

River called me up, the line was bad
Static ate half of what she said
10 a.m., she was still in bed
In the old part of Baghdad
She said, I hope the street will open soon
Mom needs her seizure medicine
The power's come back on again
Glass man is supposed to come at noon

Ten days without water in the town
A neighbour dug a well in his backyard
You can't go anywhere without your card
Dangerous just to walk around
Once a week I ride off on my bike
To a cafe with a patio
I can show my face there now, you know
It's the best part of the week

River asks me how I'm doing here
I can't complain, I say I'm fine
Another wave of static on the line
I wish her well, in case we disappear
I ask what she needs but she won't say
Foreign parcels rarely make it here
She said something else that wasn't clear
A sentence ending with today

River called me up, we talked a while
Two years today, she said, nothing more
Pieces of the ceiling on the floor
I'm amazed she finds a way to smile
River called me up, the line was bad
Static ate half of what she said
10 a.m., she was still in bed
Morning in Baghdad

DL

This song is a work of recognition, but
also one of imagination. If interested,
you can find Riverbend on the web at
http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home